Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Spirit

Luke Chapter 1
26And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
27To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
28And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
29And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be.
30And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
31And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
32He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
33And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
34Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?
35And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
36And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.
37For with God nothing shall be impossible.
38And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.


 I was reading something the other day that wanted to know, "what gets you in the Christmas Spirit"?  I love listening to Christmas music, everything from Away In A Manger to Jingle Bell Rock.  But if I had to choose a favorite I think it would be "Mary Did You Know?"  To me it's one of the most thought provoking songs. I was thinking about it, and I started wondering about Mary, we know she was a precious young girl because, of all the girls in the world, she was chosen to be the Mother of God's son. Mary was probably very quiet and obedient as a child, somehow I have a hard time picturing Mary's mom having to yell at her to finish her chores. So when the angel appeared to her and explained what was going to happen to her, she humbly
said "Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word." Luke 1:38

When I stop and  think about Mary, I can't help but wonder did she fully understand who her Son was and what He was to do for all mankind? As she loved and cared for her baby, I wonder how many times she thought this is The Son of God?

Then I love to think about Jesus as a child...was He a typical little boy. Did He love to run and play and yell like my sons did? Did He fall and get ouchies?  I think He was the child that always looked out for the younger children, was always quick to answer when Mom or Joseph called, and He never was a problem. Well there was that time Mary thought He was lost and then she found him teaching in the temple. :)

After pondering all of this for a short while, I stop and think of what He did for us at Calvary and who He is now...not the sweet little baby laying in a manger all cute and cuddly but THE RISEN KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS!

Boy! Won't that get you in the Christmas Spirit?

Thanks for stopping by.

Merry Christmas

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts on Christmas. "Mary Did You Know is one of my favorite Christmas songs too. I remember hearing it first a couple of years ago and I thought: "This really is a Christmas song!"

    I always get in the Christmas Spirit during the Christmas Service when I hear what He did for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marian
    Thanks for stopping by. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa, what a slack friend I am! I keep forgetting you have a blog! YIKES! I felt this year that I just couldn't get in the Christmas Spirit, b/c of all the trials I have been going through and not being able to shop and go here, there, and yonder, as I normally do during this season every year. But it isn't about shopping and gifts, and trees, it's all about a babe that was born into this world to save us from darkness and bring us into His marvelous light.

    The enemy may be hitting us hard this year, but nothing he can do can take away our Christmas Spirit when we are focused on the birth, death, and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and as you stated so beautifully, Teresa, what He did for us on Calvary! The babe is a babe no more, but He is the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. Ooh, my Christmas Spirit just jumped up a notch or two. Thank you for the lovely post, T!

    And we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us b/c there is not one gift lacking that I wanted to buy for my family or friends, in spite of not running around town! PTL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Diana, I know that 2012 is going to be a better year for us, but if not I hope I'll be able to say as Job did, "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him:" Job 13:15a. Thank you for the encouraging words and spreading the word about my blog. I love you beautiful lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa, It's a joy to meet you through Carrie's blog and see you have a beautiful blog of your own. God's light shines right through:) Thanks so much for taking time for my books. I look forward to keeping up with you via your blog. Happy New Year to you and your hubby and loved ones!

    ReplyDelete